CBD Oil for Dogs: What You Need to Know
As with any pet wellness trend, when it comes to CBD oil for dogs, there’s a lot of information floating around the internet, and it’s difficult to know what’s accurate and what’s exaggeration. Of course, you want to do what’s best for your pup, which leads to the question: What do I need to know about CBD oil for dogs?
The AKC’s Chief Veterinary Officer, Dr. Jerry Klein, explains what CBD oil is, what it does for dogs, and its safety concerns and potential side effects.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. Dr. Klein says it is essential to note that in most cases, CBD oil does not contain delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. In fact, most CBD products are derived from hemp and not from marijuana.
How Does CBD Affect Dogs?
Currently, there has been no formal study on how CBD affects dogs. What scientists do know is that cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid receptors located in the central and peripheral nervous systems, which help maintain balance in the body and keep it in a normal healthy state.
What Dog Health Problems Can CBD Oil Treat?
While there’s no definitive scientific data on using CBD to treat dogs, there’s anecdotal evidence from dog owners suggesting it can treat pain, especially neuropathic pain, as well as helping to control seizures.
According to Dr. Klein, CBD is also used because of its anti-inflammatory properties, cardiac benefits, anti-nausea effects, appetite stimulation, anti-anxiety impact, and for possible anti-cancer benefits, although there’s no conclusive data on this use.
The AKC Canine Health Foundation (CHF) is sponsoring a study through the Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences to evaluate the use of CBD in treatment-resistant epileptic dogs. The CHF hopes that this will be the first study to gain scientific data on the use of CBD in dogs with this condition.
Possible Side Effects of CBD in Dogs
While there’s no scientific data on the side effects of CBD usage for dogs, there are potential side effects based on how CBD affects humans. To minimize any potential side effects, make sure you are following the proper dosage.
- Dry mouth: Research has shown that CBD can decrease the production of saliva. For dogs, this would manifest as an increased thirst.
- Lowered blood pressure: High doses of CBD have been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Even though the drop is small, it might create a brief feeling of light-headedness.
- Drowsiness: Dog owners have used CBD to treat anxiety. The calming effect of CBD can also cause slight drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
Risks of Using CBD Oil for Dogs
The safety and risks of using CBD for dogs have not yet been researched. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved CBD and has not issued a dosing chart. Therefore, we do not know what size dosage would be toxic. Any medication or supplement carries the risk of a reaction. It is always advisable, when giving your dog something new, to start out with small amounts and then closely monitor the effects. And always check with your veterinarian first.
CBD Products on the Market
If you and your veterinarian decide that you should try CBD as a treatment for your dog, there are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing CBD oil. Not all oils are the same; you’ll want high-quality CBD oil to have a better chance of it working.
- Look for organic. If the CBD oil is not organic, it at least should not contain pesticides, fungicides, or solvents.
- Don’t only shop based on price. Higher quality and purity are usually associated with a higher cost. A cheaper option could contain toxic substances such as pesticides, herbicides, or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is free of additives.
- Get the analysis. The manufacturer should provide a certificate that certifies the amount of CBD that is in the product. Many CBD products contain only small amounts of CBD. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBD as a liquid. You can buy dog treats containing CBD, but the best form to administer is an oil or tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop.
The CBD Wellness Trend
Why are we hearing so much about CBD oil now? Dr. Klein points to the legalization of marijuana in many places, which has triggered interest in potential health benefits of marijuana-related products. “We are likely to see continued interest in CBD and an increase in research about its uses and efficacy in the coming years,” he says.
Learn more about the CBD study funded by the Canine Health Foundation.
Innovet created a product line of full-spectrum, pure hemp oils void of dangerous compounds. Their USDA-certified organic oil is formulated especially for animals, and is also third-party tested to ensure consistency and purity. Innovet offers more than 50 affordable products to help pets manage anxiety, pain, and other conditions. Get more information about Innovet’s CBD products.
Guide to use CBD oil for the dog with osteoarthritis
Medical marijuana has been of great use in some countries in the recent past. It has come in handy in relieving people from cancer, seizures, anxiety, and pain. The use of CBD by humans has left many pet owners and veterinarians trying to settle a puzzle. There have been questions on whether CBD products can be used on dogs and provide the same benefits. This detailed article shall guide you on how you can use CBD oil for a dog with osteoarthritis. You will understand how the oil can help your dog, the benefits of CBD oils for your dog, and the types of these oils.
What is CBD?
CBD is found in the cannabis Sativa plant and has become a supplement boasting several advantages. Once a human or a dog consumes CBD, their body systems can function properly. However, there has not been a confirmed approval from the FDA certifying the use of CBD. Its use is left open for people to decide. Specialists dealing with dogs, including the American Kennel Club , have suggested that CBD oils can be used on dogs as a pain reliever and control seizures.
Uses of CBD in dogs
There have been no accurate details about how CBD oils help a dog. However, it has been of great help to humans, as mentioned earlier. A study done in 2018 proved that CBD oils had anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties, which helped dogs with osteoarthritis.
In the research, dogs were given doses of 2 to 8 mg against a kg of the dog’s body weight. The results showed that 80% of the dogs that received the CBD oil treatment registered a great improvement in their movement and pain reduction.
On the other hand, CBD oils have been linked with the treatment of epileptic dogs . According to research done in 2019, dogs with seizures showed a reduction in seizure attacks after receiving a CBD oil dosage. However, the reduction in the seizure attacks was not registered to dogs on medical treatment.
Benefits of CBD oils to dogs with osteoarthritis
CBD oils have had a great role in the health of a dog besides the above-discussed uses. This is more so for dogs that have suffered adverse arthritis effects, including inflammation, poor mobility, and chronic pain. Here are the benefits of using CBD on such dogs.
- Treatment of Inflammation : Dogs that suffer from osteoarthritis experience inflammation. CBD oils have been of great help to such dogs, especially the ones with compromised immunity. This is because of their anti-inflammatory effects. A study proved that CBD is great in fighting dog osteoarthritis. Moreover, these cannabis products have also been confirmed to avert the damage caused by the inflammation.
- Pain reduction : CBD oils have come a great way in helping relieve pain in dogs. Also, they boost opioids and NSAIDS, thus reducing the intake of strong drugs in dogs.
Types of CBD oils for dogs with osteoarthritis
Here are some of the top best dog CBD by kingkanine that work great in treating osteoarthritis.
- KING KALM™ 600MG CBD –This CBD oil is made from natural organic ingredients and works best in treating osteoarthritis in dogs. It is combined with essential oil and Copaiba, making it the best oil for your aging furry friend.
- Klean Paws CBD oils -This type of CBD oils is specifically made for inflammation. Its dosage is given according to your dog’s age and size.
- CBD Pure- This CBD oils are grown organically and help reduce the pain and inflammation caused by osteoarthritis in dogs. They also help in enabling proper motion in older affected dogs.
Dogs are not exceptional when it comes to joint problems. This is particularly so in the older ones. Osteoarthritis in dogs can result in pain and lack of stability when moving. This can, however, be managed by the use of CBD oils, which boast several benefits. The administration of the oils is given depending on the dog’s age and weight. There are no major negative effects of CBD oils on dogs, and it interacts well with the dog’s body, thus boosting its functionality. The article has discussed the perfect guide to the use of CBD oils for treating dogs with osteoarthritis.
About the Author: Heman Thuranira is a competent SEO content writer who specializes in offering blog writing, ghostwriting, and copywriting services. He takes pride in providing SEO optimized, engaging, and high-quality digital marketing content to both B2B and B2C businesses. His content will increase your business, blog, or website social media attention and search engine ranking. For any SEO content writing service assistance; he is your go-to Guru.