The 5 Best CBD Creams For Arthritis
CBD creams have overtaken the topical industry as one of the most popular pain relievers out in the market now.
This isn’t just a placebo effect either: early studies have found that compounds in CBD oils have been useful in pain treatment, including for intense pain, sharp pain, cold and itchy sensations.
Research suggests that the biggest reason for these findings lies in how CBD interacts with our endocannabinoid system to inhibit inflammation, enabling people to feel relief topically, or orally (the method most people are familiar with when it comes to ingesting CBD).
A cousin to marijuana, CBD (cannabidiol) has become one of the most popular supplements available today. After the 2018 Farm Bill changed hemp’s legal status, CBD became a booming industry, used by the old and young. Even those who’ve never consumed cannabis before found cannabidiol useful, with topicals like CBD cream leading the charge.
Given how popular items like CBD creams have become, we decided to put together a selection of the top companies. Even considering how large the industry has grown, there are certain companies who go above and beyond to set the bar. Exhibiting a sense of responsibility to the product is what makes the industry prosper, and exactly why we’ve decided to rank who’s doing the best work. Let’s dive in:
Top 5 CBD Creams for Arthritis
How Was the CBD Cream List Made?
Before we get into suggesting products, it’s best to be transparent on how we came up with the criteria to do so.
As CBD cream can come from a number of different vendors and processes, there’s a number of sources to consider. Ranging from whether a company used organic hemp to what type of processing they fed raw ingredients through can all make a difference in quality and consistency. Additionally, practices like animal testing are considered as well, especially since this is a topical product we’re talking about. Past the basics though, the overall product needs to host enough cannabinoids to make a difference, which not every company passes the bar on.
To compile a list based on overall quality, we delved into a lot of what makes certain CBD bases better than others. Since the product can only be as good as its main offering, that was our first piece of criteria for placement as a top CBD brand. Beyond that, we also wanted to know that what supported the CBD cream held its own weight as well, ensuring that nothing was tainted along the way.
After creating the rubrics to look at, we narrowed everything down to a few key characteristics. Here are our main points:
● Where the hemp was extracted (bonus points for sources who’ve had experience in cultivating CBD).
● The extraction process used.
● How long they’ve been in the industry.
● What CBD influencers think of their brand.
● Where the CBD was processed.
● The dosage per product.
● How transparent their customer service is.
● How recently they conducted lab testing.
● Where their comments come from and if they’re legit.
Finally, we also considered any additives, including whether any artificial preservatives or excess chemicals were used.
With a strong basis of what we would want out of a CBD brand, we narrowed down our list into the top competitors for the industry.
Best CBD Cream For Arthritis
Establishing ourselves with a rubric to help pick out the best CBD cream on the market, we decided to make our top choice based upon trust and effectiveness.
Although there are some other brands who might match certain criteria we’ve lined up against, the following brands are those we felt best had the overall package.
All of these creams have been selected for what they bring to the table, particularly in how they’re made, how effective they work, and what type of ingredients they use. We’ll note that these are all creams we’d elect to use as a part of our daily routines. With all that in mind, here’s what we came up with:
1. Verma Farms
The first cream we want to bring out is Verma Farms, who’ve established a sense of quality and consistency in the CBD world. Inspired by the mountains of Hawaii, Verma Farms is a knockout of a brand. They not only care quite a bit about what they bring to market, but also why they’re doing it. Everything has an intent and purpose, making products that they would use themselves.
For their CBD creams, Verma Farms offers a Mahalo Muscle Relief and Tropical CBD Lotion . Both starting at $49.99, the muscle relief is 200 mg while the lotion is 100 mg. As they’re both used for different purposes (muscle relief for athletes, while the lotion is for skin relief), Verma Farms has its bases covered.
Overall, this is a premium combination of CBD creams, which is why they’ve made the top of our list.
● All-Natural CBD: Perhaps one of the most important factors is having CBD that is hosted from an organic or natural source. Honestly, for how quickly and easily cannabis grows, this is a no-brainer. Especially considering how many other brands are popping up right now in the industry, it’s practically becoming the standard to deliver on organic and natural products. All in all, the processing of your plants should be clean, which starts with knowing that they were grown properly.
● Two different types of topicals: By offering both a pain cream and muscle relief, Verma Farms is able to diversify their selection into different segments of customers. Enabling people to provide a lotion gives a great day-to-day moisturizer, while the muscle relief can help with soreness from exercise or injury. Range is important, as it shows they’re paying attention to what customers want.
● Quality Ingredients: Verma Farms included a swath of quality ingredients for both topicals, homing in on creating a product that was safe to use, as well as reduced the risk of allergic reactions/irritation. Quite simply, sound ingredients lead to a sound mind, and thus, the maximum effect possible.
● USA Produced: The cream is produced in the United States.
● Lab Testing: All of Verma’s products are vigorously tested. Currently, their lab results are from within the year. Additionally, no toxins were found in the batch as well. Finally, the label of broad-spectrum matched the results as well.
● Guarantee: 30-day money back guarantee for unopened items.
● Both products are affordable and host an array of great ingredients.
● Consistently using broad-spectrum CBD has tremendous results.
● All-natural hemp that doesn’t use any pesticides.
● Lab reports are legit and up to date.
● An overall soothing cream for the price.
● No variety for aromas, flavors, or sizes.
● Money back guarantee is only for unopened products.
Overall, fans of CBD and critics both love Verma Farm’s CBD cream. As a great application for day-to-day use, the Mahalo Muscle Relief and Tropical Lotion are significantly a level above the competition. Judging by the reviews on their website and around the industry, Verma Farms has one of the best customer experiences on the market today. Look for them to have another strong year in 2021.
Coming in at number two on our list is Penguin, who’ve been on top of the CBD world for quite some time now.
Hosting an array of products, Penguin has become one of the more familiar brands out there, becoming well-liked by critics and fans alike. For their CBD cream, Penguin’s $55 4 oz bottle of broad-spectrum is a solid deal that includes quality ingredients as well. With a rich formula that’s peppermint-lavender based, it’s got a strong but pleasant scent to it, as well as a formula that quickly absorbs into the skin.
With a high-potency formula, Penguin’s CBD cream is only intended for skincare. Additionally, Penguin aims to have their product remain as farm-to-table as possible, boasting a CO2 extraction process that refines the CBD into its purest form. And when you factor in the natural benefits of CBD on skin, this product is an overall win-win.
With subscription pricing knocking off 20%, Penguin certainly has their bases covered in trying to become your daily CBD cream. In the future, Penguin might just end up taking on the top spot, providing a base that’s going to propel them to be even stronger in 2021.
● Smooth Sensation: Penguin’s peppermint-lavender formula leaves a tingly sensation on your skin, implementing instant relief. If you want to really know that the CBD is kicking in, Penguin’s got it covered.
● Lab Testing: Penguin’s lab testing is up to date, conducted in mid-2020. Additionally, they’ve tested out each individual product, with the results highlighting other ingredients in the cream as well. Overall, it’s comforting to know you’re not rubbing anything toxic into your skin.
● Free Shipping: Another important feature is the fact that their Salve comes with free shipping to US addresses. This helps to reduce the overall cost that you’ll pay to get the product to your doorstep.
● Guarantee: 30-day money back guarantee regardless whether the product has been opened or not. After the product is inspected, Penguin will accept or reject your refund. If approved, the credit will be automatically applied to the card used.
● Special Ingredients: A lot of moisturizing agents in here, as well as the peppermint sensations is a nice tough.
● Great overall price, especially with the subscription option.
● Solid ingredients that help soothe and alleviate symptoms.
● Return policy includes after you’ve tried the item.
● Trusted product from a great company.
● Might not be strong enough for those with severe pain.
● The peppermint might not be for everyone, especially if you don’t like the cold feeling on your skin.
● The added ingredients do contain a slight risk for allergic reactions.
Most customers will agree that Penguin’s CBD cream is an excellent choice. Designed to be your day-to-day CBD cream, Penguin is vying for subscribers, and for the price, that option could be well worth it. With a great customer support team, Penguin’s easy-to-use website and overall smooth buying experience is one of the better CBD experiences available. Judging by the reviews online, Penguin could become a household name in the industry by 2021’s end.
3. Nanocraft CBD
Nanocraft CBD’s cooling cream and pain stick are great options for people with arthritis. Their unique CBD topical creams make it easy to find relief quickly and to feel better for hours. That’s why thousands of people from all walks of life, including Olympic athletes, are choosing Nanocraft CBD creams everyday for their joint soreness and muscle aches.
Arthritis can strike at a moment’s notice. That’s why Nanocraft uses premium cannabinoid-rich hemp grown organically in Oregon to deliver the most potent blends on the planet. Their commitment to quality and safety make them a great option for both the CBD newcomer and long-time user.
Their Cooling CBD Sports Cream and Extra Strength Muscle and Joint Stick are trusted and loved by thousands of people in need of fast relief. Both products are powered by the same premium CBD as their drops and softgels and combine the wonders of hemp with menthol and soothing essential oils for next level support.
It’s easy to see why Nanocraft CBD is the #1 choice of professional athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and everyday folks looking for fast and lasting arthritis relief.
● Smooth Sensation: Nanocraft combines premium broad spectrum hemp with natural menthol and soothing essential oils to give you cooling relief as quickly as possible.
● Lab Testing: Their lab tests are impressively in-depth and recent. Nanocraft is one of the only hemp brands proving guaranteed levels of minor cannabinoids like CBN, CBG, and CBC, making them truly broad spectrum.
● Free Shipping: Nanocraft offers fast and free shipping on all subscriptions (in addition to a 25% discount) as well as all orders over $99.
● Guarantee: You have a 30-day money back guarantee on all orders. If you don’t absolutely love the relief you feel, you can send the product back for a 100% refund.
● Special Ingredients: The soothing essential oils and natural menthol combine with the premium broad spectrum hemp to deliver a truly wonderful feeling.
● Both products are affordable, natural, and easy to use
● Nanocraft uses a proven broad spectrum hemp
● Organically grown without any pesticides
● Their lab results are recent and detailed
● They offer a 25% discount and free shipping on all subscriptions
● Their return policy only lasts for 30 days
● Slightly higher cost (unless you choose subscription)
Nanocraft CBD clearly cares about their customers and helps them find relief quickly. The overall experience is great. It’s easy to order products from their website, they are shipped quickly, every order comes with a hand written note, and the packaging is great. You can tell Nanocraft goes the extra mile to take care of their customers, especially those in pain.
4. Joy Organics
One of the best options in CBD, Joy Organics defines exceptional.
After all, living up to a name that includes “organics” in the title requires a certain level of quality, earning their “USDA Organic” label on all of their products. Furthermore, Joy Organics has the biggest variety of CBD creams on this list, hosting four topicals alone. And with that many options, there’s bound to be something for everyone.
Aside from their bath bomb, Joy Organics considers their topicals to include Salve, Sports Cream, CBD Cream, and a Salve Stick. Both their Salve Stick and CBD Cream come in 250 mg packs that start at $24.71, which is a great bang for your buck. For their ingredients, Joy Organics keeps their combinations pretty streamlined, using familiar agents like olive oil to keep the quality consistent. And with everything also lab tested as well, there’s no surprises.
Joy Organics has one of the best lineups out of not only CBD creams, but CBD products overall. As a brand that’s been at the top of the industry for a number of years now, it’s no wonder they also found their way on our short-list. Plus, with pricing more competitive than most for what you’re getting, Joy Organics is what value in CBD looks like.
● All Organic Ingredients: While a lot of CBD companies try to say they’re organic, Joy Organics is one of the few to actually have the USDA organic label. Even for the fillers and other ingredients, everything is organic.
● Dosage: Each dosage ranges between 250 mg and 500 mg, providing affordable but effective solutions for every type of customer.
● Products Designed with Intent: Each Joy Organics CBD cream has a specific intent based on what you need it for. One of our favorites is the Sports Cream, which athletes adore.
● Longer Money-Back Guarantee: Currently, Joy’s return policy is 30 days for anything, even opened packages. Additionally, they also include a 15-day grace period after the 30 days to be maximally flexible. Refunds can be processed online.
● Referral Program: Currently running a “Give $10, Get $10” program, Joy Organics is trying to spread the love.
● USDA organic product, which means all their ingredients are as well.
● Variety of CBD creams for different usages.
● All lab results active and updated.
● Subscription pricing available
● Slightly higher in price due to organic nature.
Almost every customer that goes with Joy Organics considers it their go-to for CBD. The CBD cream they offer is no exception, with Joy Organics providing a diverse range of products that hosts what should be standard nearly every time. All-in-all, Joy Organics is constantly bringing their customers satisfaction, notorious for being one of the best CBD brands on the market today.
5. Spruce CBD
To round out our list is Spruce, who have three quality options for their CBD topicals.
What we love about Spruce is that they don’t offer a ton of products. But for what they do offer, they invest a lot into quality. Coming in with a 300 mg Topical CBD Cream, CBD Salve, and Deep Chill CBD Lotion, Spruce has the bases covered for every type of use, providing enough options to find the perfect solution for you.
Although Spruce is slightly more expensive than other CBD brands, they put quite a bit of effort into what they produce. Granted, all their options are not only grown in the USA with top-tier ingredients, but they also dosage out things to be slightly stronger than most would anticipate. Quite simply, Spruce is a great brand if you’ve already been introduced to CBD and looking for something that packs a punch.
For a brand that puts a lot into the experience of the product, Spruce knows how to deliver. This is a company that although not expensive is slightly more than average, however, is worth every penny. Check them out if you’re looking for an option that utilizes full-spectrum strength for a reasonable price.
● A Few Different Options of Products/Strengths: Spruce makes CBD for fans of the product, which is why they have all their bases covered for topicals. Whether you’re into creams or salves, their options compete amongst the best.
● Full Spectrum/Organic Quality: Spruce has put forth quite a bit into producing the best full-spectrum options, which means you’re getting the best yield money can buy.
● Third-Party Lab Tests: All of Spruce’s products are lab tested and up to date.
● USA-Grown: The hemp used by Spruce is grown in America, keeping things as local as possible.
● A variety of options are available.
● Doesn’t contain any extra frills.
● Comes in worthwhile strengths
● Although some ingredients are organic, not all of them are.
● Subscription pricing is not as competitive as other brands.
Overall, customers enjoy Spruce for offering what’s promised: a great CBD solution for a solid price. While unapologetically slightly more premium than the rest, they also offer CBD creams that are effective and use quality ingredients. From users, they seem to find everything satisfactory. Overall, Spruce might be our fifth pick, but one that still holds stronger than a lot of what’s in the industry.
What to Look for In A CBD Cream?
When looking for a CBD cream, the biggest consideration you should make is where the CBD has come from as well as what intent you have with using it. As you can see above, companies make CBD creams for a number of reasons, from everyday use to specialty services like topicals for athletes. Ultimately, it depends on your experience, use, and price-point you’re after, aiming to pinpoint exactly what you want. Plus, it’s important to avoid buying garbage or less than satisfactory products too.
To come up with criteria of on what should be considered on your own for CBD cream, here’s what we came up with:
● Ingredients: Obviously, if you’re going to put this on your body then it’s imperative to know what goes into it and why it’s worth consuming. Be mindful that anything you put on your skin, your body is absorbing too. Ultimately, a good rule of thumb is to not do anything that you wouldn’t want to eat, which is why sticking to creams that have more natural or organic ingredients is your best bet.
● Hemp Source: Where a company gets their hemp can tell you a lot about the quality. Not only does this include only buying things from American growers but also ensuring they’re using organic practices. The chemicals or pesticides sprayed on hemp ultimately will end up inside you as well; there’s no excuse for farms to produce anything less than best quality.
● Lab Testing: Any company worth buying CBD from will put their lab results out into the open. This is a non-starter, as anyone that refuses to post results or doesn’t have them accessible simply isn’t meeting the bar. With how many bad actors in the CBD industry, knowing you’re buying a good product is a must, which starts with trusted lab results.
● Brand: Although branding isn’t everything in agriculture, it certainly can gauge how seriously a company takes themselves and what they’re approach is. For example, a family business might not have a flashy brand but cares a lot about the product versus other companies care more about looking like a good CBD company than what’s put in. Ultimately, a good product is going to host the criteria of being quality, which will reflect in the brand as a reflection of their ethos.
● Return Policy: A good return policy speaks volumes about how badly a business wants you to as a lifelong customer. While they might not win you over immediately, knowing how to make things right is vital. Every company above gives you at least 30 days to return the product, with a few even letting you return open box items. That says a lot about how they trust their customers, which is a key characteristic you should be looking for too.
● Shipping Policies: Expensive shipping can kill a product. For this reason, knowing the price of what it takes to get to you is vital. No one wants to spend $10 on shipping a $50 product, which is why going through the checkout beforehand is vital. Doing so will help decide the real value you’re getting out of the whole experience.
● Pricing: With so many choices for quality and competition, pricing plays a big role. Shopping around can give you a good idea of what’s considered reasonable; however, we’ll note that certain criteria are going to play a factor as well. For example, having all-organic ingredients will constitute a markup as much as other premiums as well. Go through the details and check the lab report, as those will give you the best criteria for what’s worth the price or not.
How Does CBD Cream Work for Arthritis?
A lot of early research suggests that conditions like arthritis and other recurring pain conditions can be eased by CBD. As cannabidiol has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps with conditions that deal with chronic, achy pain. Harvard Health actually notes that a European study on arthritis found promising early results in how CBD can help with pain.
One important piece we’ll note is that pain is subjective. For some, an acute pain might be completely debilitating to others, which is why suggesting CBD as a treatment is only for a limited number of symptoms. Ultimately, a good rule of thumb some people suggest is to use CBD and CBD creams on things that would otherwise be cured with over the counter drugs like ibuprofen. Citing that CBD is less toxic, substances like that can be helpful on your liver and well-being.
Finally, it’s important to talk with your doctor about your pain before self-medication. As a medical professional will know if any of your other symptoms could be causing a much more significant problem, it’ll give you a good guide on what’s best for your treatment. Furthermore, they’ll also be able to get an accurate gauge on your pain tolerance, which will dictate how much CBD you should be taking. This isn’t a journey you want to take alone, with CBD creams only being effective as a part of a bigger plan of recovery.
A Note on Seeing Your Doctor
Even if you feel like CBD topicals are right for you, it’s always smart to check with your doctor first. Not only will it help with deciding which type of treatment is right but also if there are any allergies or other factors at play. As CBD is something that can be great when enjoyed or used properly, that also comes with knowing it’s safe to personally use as well. Give yourself the best opportunity to enjoy CBD, providing all the information needed to design a perfect fit.
How To Use CBD Topicals Cream, Salve & Lotion
CBD topicals are incredibly easy to use, with no oral ingestion necessary.
Most bottles will include specific directions on what type of CBD you should take, as well as how much. Some products might have more specific instructions, such as how vigorously it should be rubbed in. Overall, most topicals are going to be used like you would any other lotion: rubbing in until smooth. Without too many surprises, this is an easy solution to consider
Conclusion: Which CBD Cream Should You Buy?
Our top pick is Verma Farms .
Not only do our fans love it, but it’s the CBD cream we use the most often ourselves. As most people agree it hits the benchmarks of being the best quality, most affordable, and best service, Verma Farms hosts a much stronger overall reasoning for being your pick than any other brand. We highly recommend checking them out for any recurring pains or relief after a long day. Trust us, you won’t want to miss out on what Verma Farms is offering if you’re in the market for CBD cream.
Thanks for reading, and we hope to hear from you soon!
Looking for the best CBD you can find? Check out our awards for the best CBD Gummies , best CBD Oi l, Best CBD Oil For Dogs , and Best CBD Oil for cats .
Best CBD Cream for Arthritis & Joint Pain Relief
Arthritis is the inflammatory swelling of one or more joints. It covers more than a hundred medical conditions affecting the joints, tissues around the joint, and other connective tissues.
There are several common types of arthritis, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC): osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, gout, and childhood arthritis.
In recent years, CBD has become the go-to alternative treatment for arthritis patients due to its therapeutic versatility and excellent safety profile.
In particular, CBD creams have proven useful for reducing localized pain caused by arthritis flare-ups.
In this article, we cover the list of the best CBD cream for arthritis from 10 reputable brands. We’ll also shed light on the mechanisms of action behind CBD’s positive effects on this condition.
What Are the Best CBD Creams for Arthritis? Our Top 10 Brands for 2022
- Royal CBD – Best CBD Cream for Arthritis Overall
- Gold Bee – Best Organic Formula
- CBDistillery – Runner Up
- Hemp Bombs – Best Pure CBD Cream
- Medterra – Best Variety
- CBDfx – Good Value
- Spruce – Best Scent
- Aspen Green – Best Texture
- Joy Organics – Best Price
- Receptra Naturals – Most Affordable
1. Royal CBD
Get 15% off all Royal CBD products. Use code “CFAH” at checkout.
Royal CBD is a Nevada-based brand that offers premium-grade CBD extracts sourced from organically-grown hemp from Colorado. The company sells CBD oil, softgel capsules, gummies, vapes, honey sticks, and two types of CBD topicals for arthritis — CBD-infused cooling roll-on gel and warming cream.
The Royal CBD cream is infused with broad-spectrum CBD, so each application gives your skin a whole range of non-intoxicating cannabinoids and terpenes but without trace amounts of THC. You can use this cream for arthritis to benefit from the entourage effect but without any THC in your system.
The calming cream is a great choice for relieving severe pain and discomfort; at 500 mg of CBD per jar, it’s particularly effective at reducing inflammation and easing muscle stiffness. The consistency is spot-on; not too loose, not too greasy. If anything, it’s a bit grainy, but that’s a common issue among all-natural CBD creams for arthritis. We’d like to share more details about Royal CBD and what makes it a trustworthy brand in the CBD industry.
- Locally grown, organic hemp
- CO2 extraction
- Very potent — 500 mg of CBD per jar
- Easy application
- Third-party tested for potency and purity
- The texture is a little bit grainy
2. Gold Bee
Gold Bee is another brand from Nevada that we’ve included in our ranking of the best CBD creams for arthritis. You can check out our review for Gold Bee products and their efficacy, and also about the company and its mission.
The company specializes in all-organic CBD extracts in various formats, such as oils, capsules, gummies, honey sticks, pet products, and topicals.
CBD topicals are a brand new addition to Gold Bee’s collection. The company has introduced two types of topicals, warming cream and cooling roll-on gel. Both formulations come with 2000 mg of broad-spectrum CBD, which makes them some of the most potent CBD creams for arthritis on the market.
Another great benefit of the CBD warming cream is the infusion with cayenne pepper extract to provide a warming touch that helps reduce soreness and ease joint pain.
Similar to Royal CBD, the cream feels a bit grainy, but that’s exactly what handmade CBD creams look like.
- 2000 mg of CBD
- Organic hemp grown in California
- Lab-tested for quality and potency
- No presence in local stores (only available online)
CBDistillery makes full-spectrum CBD creams that can be used for arthritis flare-ups and other localized problems. The formula contains all-natural ingredients, which is another benefit for health-conscious users.
This company is a great choice for people shopping on a budget; the cream costs a mere $0.12 per mg of CBD. At 500 mg of CBD per jar, it’s a very affordable product. That being said, the hemp used by CBDistillery doesn’t have organic certification, so it’s unclear if the source material is actually pesticide- and heavy metal-free.
- US-grown hemp
- Full-spectrum CBD
- 500 mg of total CBD
- Third-party tested for quality and safety
- The hemp isn’t organic
- Narrow product range
4. Hemp Bombs
Hemp Bombs provides a range of products that combine high-quality ingredients with witty marketing. The company has maintained its reputation among customers for over 5 years. Its products are openly labeled as “Pain Freeze,” clearly indicating the purpose of these CBD creams.
The CBD Pain Freeze cream contains 1000 mg of CBD coming from an isolate. So, while undeniably potent, this product doesn’t evoke the entourage effect because there are no synergistic cannabinoids and terpenes in it.
On a positive note, the product leaves a nice “cooling burn” on the skin’s surface, getting more gentle over time and reducing physical discomfort.
- Organic hemp
- Wide product range
- Up to 1000 mg of total CBD
- Third-party tested for CBD and contaminants
- It’s CBD isolate (no entourage effect)
- A bit expensive for an isolate-based product
Medterra offers two potency options of its award-winning CBD cream for arthritis: 250 mg and 750 mg of CBD. Both options come in a 3.4 fl. Oz. container. The company also sells a cooling roll-on gel, but this product is only available in one size, with 250 mg of CBD.
Similar to Hemp Bombs, Medterra also uses 99% pure CBD isolate — meaning it doesn’t carry any traces of THC, and no other cannabinoids or terpenes.
Both products provide a relatively quick sense of relief, but since they aren’t full-spectrum, they’re better suited for milder pains and aches rather than serious arthritis flare-ups.
- Organic hemp
- Two types of topicals: CBD cream and roll-on
- Available in different strengths
- No entourage effect
- The roll-on is available in limited potency options
CBDfx has been making high-quality CBD products since 2012. The company boasts a diverse product line-up, including CBD oils, gummies, vapes, drinks, topicals, and even pet products.
The CBDfx cream for pain comes with 150 or 500 mg of CBD depending on the selected strength. It’s sold in 50-mL containers and provides other natural analgesics in the formula, such as willow bark, caffeine, and menthol. The menthol scent also leaves a nice cooling sensation in the problematic area, reducing irritation.
There’s also CBD lotion, which contains other natural ingredients that nourish and replenish the skin barrier, including beeswax and organic Shea butter. It easily absorbs into the skin, allowing for quick relief from pain.
Unfortunately, these products are priced at the higher end. The 160 mg of CBD costs $0.26 per mg of CBD.
- Europe-grown hemp (Netherlands)
- CO2 extraction
- Full-spectrum CBD
- Up to 500 mg of CBD per jar
- Natural scents
- No high-potency CBD creams for arthritis
- A bit more expensive than competitors
The Spruce CBD cream is appropriate for all types of skin, including sensitive ones. It also smells great for a hemp-derived CBD cream. You can tell by looking at the texture that the cream has been made with all-natural ingredients. Spruce uses organic hemp grown in Colorado and Kentucky.
This CBD cream is good for people with mild-to-moderate arthritis, with 300 mg of full-spectrum CBD. The formula also contains other adjunctive cannabinoids, including CBD, CBG, and CBDA. It also pairs well with high levels of terpenes, such as caryophyllene, limonene, geraniol, and linalool. This combination provides relaxing and uplifting benefits — not to mention subtle fruity aromas underlined by spicy tones.
Unfortunately, the cream is available in only one strength, so if you’re looking for a more potent product, we recommend checking the other brands in this ranking.
- Organic, US-grown hemp
- Full-spectrum CBD
- Enriched with terpenes
- Well-designed formulas
- Third-party tested for potency and purity
- Only one product type is available
- Narrow selection of strengths
8. Aspen Green
Aspen Green offers premium CBD products from organic hemp, including the pain-relief body balm that packs 600 mg of full-spectrum hemp — with minor cannabinoids like CBC, CBN, CBG, and CBDA.
The full-spectrum formula gives this cream a slightly botanical aroma, but the unique blend of terpenes also provides it with pleasant scents that improve the analgesic properties of CBD. The cream deeply penetrates the skin, reaching muscles, joints, and ligaments.
The Aspen Green CBD cream features terpenes like cymene, limonene, ocimene, pinene, caryophyllene, terpinolene, myrcene, humulene, guaiol, bisabolol, and eucalyptol.
- Organic hemp
- Full-spectrum extract
- Rich in terpenes
- 1000 mg of CBD
- Lab-tested for quality and safety
- Only one type of topicals
- No high-strength CBD creams
9. Joy Organics
Joy Organics partnered with the largest farms and producers of hemp in the USA to extract raw plant compounds and infuse them into its range of CBD creams.
The Joy Organic CBD cream comes with a broad-spectrum extract that contains 1000 mg of CBD alongside other supportive cannabinoids and terpenes. The terpene blend includes myrcene, caryophyllene, pinene, geraniol, eucalyptol, terpinolene, ocimene, limonene, and terpinene.
Besides providing delicate floral notes and refreshing scents of forest and menthol, it also gives it a refreshing feeling when you apply it to the skin. The terpenes work synergistically with CBD to magnify its anti-inflammatory effects.
There’s also an unscented CBD cream that is less potent than the broad-spectrum one, so if you don’t have severe arthritis, you may choose it for a more affordable option. 1 oz container comes with 250 mg of pure CBD.
- Organic hemp
- Broad-spectrum CBD and isolate
- Up to 1000 mg of total CBD
- Infused with additional terpenes
- Third-party tested for quality and safety
- The unscented version doesn’t evoke the entourage effect
- Priced at the higher end
10. Receptra Naturals
Receptra Naturals was launched in 2016, catering mainly to athletes. Its product line-up includes CBD oils for humans and pets, but the company also has a broad range of topicals among its best-selling products.
On top of full-spectrum CBD, the formula includes high-quality herbal ingredients to reduce pain and inflammation, such as turmeric, making them some of the best CBD creams for arthritis.
Just keep in mind that the company offers two types of topicals: an all-purpose body butter and a high-strength cream. Although both products contain full-spectrum CBD, the body butter is better suited for daily use. At 11 mg of CBD per mL, it won’t be useful against serious pain. However, the cream does the job pretty well, with up to 800 mg of full-spectrum CBD per jar.
All of Receptra Naturals topicals are vegan, containing organic ingredients such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, mango butter, and an array of antioxidants, such as ylang-ylang, jasmine, and vitamin E.
- US-grown hemp
- Vegan formula
- Infused with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds
- 800 mg of CBD
- Full-spectrum extract
- The body butter has very low levels of CBD
- The cream feels a bit greasy on the skin
What Is CBD Cream?
CBD cream is a term that covers a range of topical products that you can apply directly to the skin. Creams are only one format; you can also find topicals such as roll-ons, lotions, salves, and body butter. CBD creams relieve pain and other types of discomfort, including arthritis flare-ups.
People commonly use CBD creams on the neck, shoulders, feet, knees, elbows, and other joints.
CBD creams boast remarkable anti-inflammatory properties. They can also mitigate pain signals from firing neurons. According to cannabis researchers, deficiencies in our naturally produced endocannabinoids may lead to a range of medical conditions. Scientists believe that CBD helps the body restore its internal balance by increasing and maintaining sufficient levels of endocannabinoids in the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
The ECS is the major regulatory network in the body that keeps us in a state of biological balance. The system is responsible for the way we process our emotions, remember things, learn new things, perceive pain, pleasure, fear, and more.
When you use CBD cream for arthritis, it will interact with the cannabinoid receptors in your skin, producing many therapeutic effects, including relief from pain and inflammation.
Benefits of CBD Cream for Arthritis
CBD uses a multifaceted mechanism to manage pain. Although there aren’t many studies regarding its influence on arthritis, the evidence surrounding its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties is piling up.
A 2018 study from the Frontiers in Pharmacology analyzed several studies from the past on the effects of cannabinoids on pain. The review mentions the painkilling properties of CBD, underlining the role of CB receptors in pain signaling. The authors also added that CBD blocks the release of neuropeptides and neurotransmitters on the presynaptic site of nerves.
According to the researchers, there’s “A moderate amount of evidence that cannabis and cannabinoids exhibit analgesic activity.”
The studies on the benefits of CBD creams for arthritis are limited due to complicated laws surrounding cannabis. Fortunately, the legal landscape is changing dynamically in the favor of cannabis consumers. The rolling legalization movement is opening the door to extensive research on cannabinoids and pain.
Another study — conducted in 2017 — suggested that CBD acted as an anti-inflammatory agent in rodents. The authors investigated the osteoarthritis model of male Wistar rats. After applying CBD cream, they found that the application of CBD cream reduced pain associated with the condition. They also noted that CBD could potentially become a safe and effective therapy for osteoarthritis.
Scientists are trying to figure out whether the same effect can be achieved in humans, but animal studies with regard to cannabinoids carry a high degree of relevance because all animals, except for certain insects, have the same endocannabinoid system that interacts with cannabinoids from hemp.
CBD for Arthritis Pain
Arthritis is one of the leading causes of disability in the United States — affecting over 50 million Americans according to statistics.
Several studies have highlighted the anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of CBD in relation to arthritis:
- A 2011 study showed that CBD can help reduce inflammatory pain in rats by changing the response of the pain receptors to the pain trigger.
- A 2014 review of the existing animal studies concluded that CBD may be an effective treatment for osteoarthritis.
- A 2016 study found that CBD creams can be used to reduce pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.
- In a 2017 study, the authors suggested that CBD might be a safe and effective treatment for joint pain.
That being said, we still need more clinical human trials to support the initial findings of CBD cream’s potential to relieve arthritis pain and inflammation in humans.
A 2006 study analyzed the efficacy and safety of Sativex in arthritis patients. Sativex is a cannabis-based oral spray used in people with Multiple Sclerosis. Although the results from this study have been encouraging, it’s worth noting that Sativex combines CBD with THC in a 1:1 ratio, so more studies are needed to confirm that CBD oil alone could produce similar results.
CBD for Sleep and Anxiety
Living with an autoimmune disorder, such as arthritis, can be a true pain — both literally and metaphorically.
In a 2018 study published in Arthritis Care & Research, the research team found that people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are more likely to suffer from anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder in their lifetimes than those who haven’t been diagnosed with the condition.
Fighting a chronic disease can be a large burden to carry on your shoulders, let alone struggling with persistent pain on a daily basis. This can lead to sleep problems, behavioral changes, anxiety, and depression.
Meanwhile, studies show that CBD has great potential to relieve anxiety and depression. A study published in the journal CNS and Neurological Disorders – Drug Targets noted that CBD had anxiolytic and antidepressant-like properties.
Researchers in a 2019 study posted in the Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry found that CBD could help dampen the body’s response to environmental stressors — producing anti-anxiety effects.
Another 2019 study measured the anxiety and sleep scores of the participants and noted that CBD could be a beneficial treatment for anxiety-related disorders.
Considering CBD’s anxiolytic and sleep-inducing properties, daily supplementation with CBD oil can improve the quality of life of arthritis patients on top of helping them manage localized pain with CBD cream.
How CBD Cream Works to Help with Arthritis
To understand the mechanism behind CBD’s benefits for arthritis, we must take a closer look at how the endocannabinoid system (ECS) functions.
The therapeutic effects of cannabinoids such as CBD are manifested by their active interaction with the body’s ECS and its receptors.
As mentioned, the ECS is a vital system responsible for regulating different biological processes, including pain perception, immune response, anxiety, sleep, blood pressure, metabolism, appetite, mood, memory, body temperature, reproduction, and more.
A 2014 study from The European Journal of Neuroscience reported that the presence of cannabinoid receptors and the important role of the ECS in the regulation of inflammation, pain, and joint function lays the ground for the support of therapeutic use of cannabinoids for arthritis.
CB1 and CB2 receptors are the two main sets of receptors found in specific regions of the human body. These receptors modulate the functioning of the ECS.
CB1 receptors regulate memory processing, pain sensation, sleep, mood, memory, and appetite.
CB2 receptors are responsible for controlling immune responses.
When CB2 receptors are activated, they lead to a response that reduces inflammation, mitigating pain and reducing damage to tissues.
A 2019 study released by the journal Current Opinion in Rheumatology concluded that cannabinoids exert anti-inflammatory actions by activating CB2 receptors, decreasing cytokine production, and the mobilization of immune cells.
On top of that, there is evidence that CBD affects the TRPV-1 and GPR55 receptors, both of which are found in the skin and play a role in modulating inflammation.
Another research paper demonstrated CBD’s potential to signal the ECS to produce more of its endocannabinoids, like anandamide, which regulates emotions and our pain threshold. Results showed that anandamide levels were elevated in volunteers who took CBD.
Where to Buy CBD Cream for Arthritis Near Me
Now that you’ve learned about all the possible health benefits of CBD cream for arthritis, you must be wondering where you can find high-quality CBD products near you.
There are two options for buying CBD: you can shop for it locally or look for a reputable online vendor.
While finding a local store that stocks CBD may sound like a convenient way to find a good CBD cream for arthritis, there are certain limitations to it.
To begin with, you must rely solely on the store owner’s perception of “high quality.” Many local vendors stock products that are mislabeled or contaminated with pesticides and heavy metals only to benefit from a booming market. It takes time and effort to find a trustworthy vendor locally, not to mention that stationery shops usually limit their selection of CBD products to 2–3 types.
When buying CBD cream for arthritis online, you can compare hundreds of different products in the comfort of your home, which is the first perk of shopping for CBD this way.
The second benefit of finding a trustworthy online supplier is the wealth of choice. Online companies usually offer multiple options for CBD, including oils, capsules, vapes, creams, gummies, and even products for pets.
And, most importantly, online vendors can cut out the middleman, so you can take advantage of lower prices, discounts, gift cards, and reward programs.
How to Use CBD Cream for Arthritis
Using CBD creams for arthritis is straightforward. Once you open the jar, apply it directly to the skin and wait until it absorbs. CBD will penetrate the skin, interacting with its cannabinoid receptors. CBD creams are more effective than THC creams because CBD offers 10x higher permeability.
Most people report first signs of relief from pain and inflammation after 15–30 minutes, but for some individuals, it may take even 120 minutes before they experience any effects.
It’s difficult to determine the amount of CBD that will be absorbed into the skin. With other product types, such as oils, capsules, edibles, and vapes, it’s easier to measure the bioavailability of CBD.
For example, the bioavailability of oral forms is around 6%; for CBD oils, this figure is around 35%, inhalable forms of CBD demonstrate the bioavailability of 56%.
If by bioavailability we understand the amount of CBD that reaches the bloodstream, then the bioavailability of CBD creams for arthritis is ZERO, as none of the CBD gets there. However, this shouldn’t concern you because CBD topicals are meant to interact with the ECS through the skin.
Key Takeaways on the Best CBD Cream for Arthritis
CBD has many potential medical benefits. Scientists are impressed by its anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. Cannabis experts suggest that the best you can do to fight arthritis is to combine CBD oil for general pain and CBD cream for targeted relief.
When you apply CBD topically, it interacts with CB2 receptors in your skin and reduces inflammation as well as different types of pain. CBD has been shown to alleviate minor aches, stiff joints, and chronic pain — all without dangerous adverse reactions.
If you’re looking for the best CBD cream for arthritis, we highly recommend Royal CBD warming cream because it features high levels of broad-spectrum CBD and a cayenne pepper extract for an extra analgesic effect.
Do you use CBD creams for arthritis? Let us know by leaving a comment.
- Vučković, S., Srebro, D., Vujović, K. S., Vučetić, Č., & Prostran, M. (2018). Cannabinoids and Pain: New Insights From Old Molecules. Frontiers in pharmacology, 9, 1259. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.01259 (1)
- Philpott, H. T., O’Brien, M., & McDougall, J. J. (2017). Attenuation of early phase inflammation by cannabidiol prevents pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis. Pain, 158(12), 2442–2451. https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001052 (2)
- Schuelert, N., & McDougall, J. J. (2011). The abnormal cannabidiol analogue O-1602 reduces nociception in a rat model of acute arthritis via the putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55. Neuroscience letters, 500(1), 72–76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2011.06.004 (3)
- La Porta, C., Bura, S. A., Negrete, R., & Maldonado, R. (2014). Involvement of the endocannabinoid system in osteoarthritis pain. The European journal of neuroscience, 39(3), 485–500. https://doi.org/10.1111/ejn.12468 (4)
- Hammell, D. C., Zhang, L. P., Ma, F., Abshire, S. M., McIlwrath, S. L., Stinchcomb, A. L., & Westlund, K. N. (2016). Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain-related behaviours in a rat model of arthritis. European journal of pain (London, England), 20(6), 936–948. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejp.818 (5)
- Philpott, H. T., O’Brien, M., & McDougall, J. J. (2017). Attenuation of early phase inflammation by cannabidiol prevents pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis. Pain, 158(12), 2442–2451. https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001052 (6)
- Blake, D. R., Robson, P., Ho, M., Jubb, R. W., & McCabe, C. S. (2006). Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford, England), 45(1), 50–52. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/kei183 (7)
- Marrie, R. A., Hitchon, C. A., Walld, R., Patten, S. B., Bolton, J. M., Sareen, J., Walker, J. R., Singer, A., Lix, L. M., El-Gabalawy, R., Katz, A., Fisk, J. D., Bernstein, C. N., & Canadian Institutes of Health Research Team in Defining the Burden and Managing the Effects of Psychiatric Comorbidity in Chronic Immunoinflammatory Disease (2018). Increased Burden of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis care & research, 70(7), 970–978. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.23539 (8)
- de Mello Schier, A. R., de Oliveira Ribeiro, N. P., Coutinho, D. S., Machado, S., Arias-Carrión, O., Crippa, J. A., Zuardi, A. W., Nardi, A. E., & Silva, A. C. (2014). Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol: a chemical compound of Cannabis sativa. CNS & neurological disorders drug targets, 13(6), 953–960. https://doi.org/10.2174/1871527313666140612114838 (9)
- Linares, I. M., Zuardi, A. W., Pereira, L. C., Queiroz, R. H., Mechoulam, R., Guimarães, F. S., & Crippa, J. A. (2019). Cannabidiol presents an inverted U-shaped dose-response curve in a simulated public speaking test. Revista brasileira de psiquiatria (Sao Paulo, Brazil : 1999), 41(1), 9–14. https://doi.org/10.1590/1516-4446-2017-0015 (10)
- Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., & Hughes, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. The Permanente journal, 23, 18–041. https://doi.org/10.7812/TPP/18-041 (11)
- La Porta, C., Bura, S. A., Negrete, R., & Maldonado, R. (2014). Involvement of the endocannabinoid system in osteoarthritis pain. The European journal of neuroscience, 39(3), 485–500. https://doi.org/10.1111/ejn.12468 (12)
- Lowin, T., Schneider, M., & Pongratz, G. (2019). Joints for joints: cannabinoids in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Current opinion in rheumatology, 31(3), 271–278. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOR.0000000000000590 (13)
- Leweke, F. M., Piomelli, D., Pahlisch, F., Muhl, D., Gerth, C. W., Hoyer, C., Klosterkötter, J., Hellmich, M., & Koethe, D. (2012). Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia. Translational psychiatry, 2(3), e94. https://doi.org/10.1038/tp.2012.15 (14)
Nina created CFAH.org following the birth of her second child. She was a science and math teacher for 6 years prior to becoming a parent — teaching in schools in White Plains, New York and later in Paterson, New Jersey.
Leave a comment Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Top 10 CBD Creams for Arthritis & Joint Pain
More and more arthritis sufferers are turning to cannabidiol (CBD) as a natural way to support pain relief. CBD arthritis creams and lotions can be applied topically to specific areas to help reduce inflammation, swelling, and pain. What are the best CBD arthritis creams? In this article, we explain the science behind CBD and arthritis and recommend the top CBD creams to try.
CBD is a naturally occurring compound found in the hemp plant. Like THC, it is a cannabinoid that interacts with our body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). Unlike THC, however, it does not contain psychoactive or intoxicating properties. Instead, CBD is used primarily for its health and wellness benefits, including its apparent ability to promote a sense of calm, regulate mood, improve sleep, and reduce inflammation and pain.
Early research makes CBD cream for arthritis a promising option to help those suffering from arthritis and joint pain. Since CBD and industrial hemp were only made available for study after the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill, long term and large group studies are still in the works. While more definitive research is needed before it can be prescribed as a treatment, CBD for joint pain may certainly play a role in supplementing current treatment options with a low risk of side effects. As with any CBD product, be sure to consult with your doctor before taking CBD to make sure that it won’t interact with any of your existing medications or treatments.
Why Would You Try CBD Cream?
CBD is a compound found in cannabis plants that has gained much attention for its apparent ability to aid in inflammation, stress, and many other issues. This compound can be infused into creams, lotions, and salves as a way to apply CBD topically for a variety of benefits, including skin nourishment and pain alleviation.
CBD creams differ from other products, like oil tinctures or CBD capsules, in that they allow you to apply CBD directly to painful areas on the body, like knees, shoulders, hands, or wrists. The CBD is then absorbed through the skin to help treat the affected area more quickly than CBD that is taken orally and must be absorbed into the bloodstream. CBD lotions for arthritis also provide an alternative to ingesting or inhaling CBD, which can benefit those with sensitive digestive systems or pallets.
With a CBD cream, you can typically find much higher concentrations of CBD in each product, allowing you the potential to enjoy stronger relief. The best CBD arthritis creams also contain natural ingredients like menthol, eucalyptus, peppermint, California poppy, shea butter, and beeswax to help sooth aching joints and nourish skin.
Does CBD Help with Arthritis?
While research into the effectiveness of CBD to treat arthritis is still in its early stages, there are a number of promising studies. Take this study that concluded that topical CBD has potential as an effective treatment of arthritic pain. Researchers believe the administration of CBD could also have long-lasting therapeutic effects.
Animal studies have shown that transdermal, or topical, application of CBD does have therapeutic potential for relieving arthritis pain and inflammation. Another study using rats found that atypical receptors beyond just CB2 might be beneficial in treating inflammatory pain with cannabinoids. Recent research published in the Journal of Opioid Management concluded that CBD transdermal cream provided “significant symptom and pain relief” for patients suffering from severe back pain.
CBD is an immunosuppressive, and most often binds with the body’s CB2 receptor, which directly influences our immune system. This allows it to help inhibit the production of certain inflammatory processes in the body, which could help to reduce arthritis and joint pain.
As a reminder, CBD is one of more than 100 cannabinoids that occur naturally in the cannabis plant. These plant compounds, along with terpenes and flavonoids, work through a process known as the entourage effect to promote homeostasis within the body.
Top-Rated CBD Creams, Lotions, and Salves for Joint Pain Relief
Each product featured here has been independently selected by the writer. You can learn more about our review methodology here. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.
- Best Organic – Cornbread Hemp CBD Lotion + Menthol
- Best for Neck Pain – Spruce CBD Salve
- Best Menthol-Free – R+R Medicinals CBD Cream
- Best Roll On – CBDistillery CBD Relief Stick
- Simplest Ingredients – NuLeaf Naturals Full Spectrum CBD Balm
How We Chose These Topicals
To choose the best CBD creams for arthritis, we compared a number of different factors. Some of the things we looked for in each product included:
- Source — Where is the company’s hemp grown and how do they extract the CBD?
- Strength — How much CBD does the cream contain? Is it full spectrum, broad spectrum, or CBD isolate?
- Organic — Does the company use organic hemp and natural ingredients?
- Ingredients — Does the CBD salve contain additional botanicals or ingredients, like menthol or lidocaine?
- Testing — Is the product tested by an independent third-party lab, and can you access the results?
- Price — Is the CBD lotion offer a good value for the amount of CBD included?
- Customer experience — What do customer reviews say about the product and how it helped them?
Using these categories, we identified the best CBD for joint pain creams, balms, and slaves. Check out our choices below to find the right one for your needs.
Our Full Reviews
Best Organic: Cornbread Hemp CBD Lotion + Menthol
Cornbread Hemp Full Spectrum CBD Lotion is a great organic option for arthritis pain or sore muscles. It’s made with 500 mg of pure hemp flower CBD extract, which means their CBD doesn’t come from seeds or stems for a cleaner product. This cream is also packed with tons of organic botanicals like menthol, lemongrass, jojoba, peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, and eucalyptus, but it’s paraben and preservative-free.
- CBD – Full Spectrum
- Strength – 500 mg per container
- Added Ingredients – Organic menthol, lemongrass, jojoba, peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, eucalyptus, beeswax, +
Why buy: We love that this CBD for joint pain cream is USDA organic and contains so many beneficial botanicals and natural ingredients. It’s great for sore knees, shoulders, elbows, hands, and muscles.